Westville shooting: Appeal for witnesses, CCTV footage to assist the murder investigation

Mercury Reporter|Published

A man was shot dead in his vehicle outside a shopping centre in Westville on Tuesday. An appeal has been made for witnesses to the incident to share information with the police.

Image: ALS Paramedics

The Westville Community Policing Forum has conveyed its condolences to the family of a man, in his 30s, who was shot dead in his vehicle outside a shopping mall in the area on Tuesday and appealed for witnesses to come forward with any information on the incident.

In a statement the CPF said that according to information from the SAPS, the man was in his Porsche at the corner of Menston Road and Buckingham Terrace Road when he was approached by the occupants of a white vehicle.

“It is reported that the suspects opened fire multiple times before fleeing the scene. A docket of murder has been opened. At this stage, there are no confirmed leads or identified suspects and an investigation is underway.”

The CPF said a request had been made by the police for any witnesses to come forward.

“The Westville CPF extends its sincere condolences to the family and loved ones of the deceased. As the incident occurred in a central and busy area, it is possible that motorists, pedestrians, or nearby businesses may have noticed the vehicle involved, recorded a registration number, or observed any suspicious activity.” 

The organisation also encouraged residents and businesses to review any CCTV footage from the time of the incident and to come forward if they have any information which may be useful.

KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Paul Magwaza confirmed on Tuesday that police in Westville were investigating a case of murder. Magwaza said the victim had been shot several times with an AK-47 assault rifle.

For more stories from The Mercury, click the link THE MERCURY