KwaZulu-Natal ANC convener Jeff Radebe called on the party's members to end corruption linked to water tankers.
Image: Timothy Bernard / Independent Newspapers.
JEFF RADEBE, the ANC's convener in KwaZulu-Natal, has called upon party-led municipalities to take decisive action against the so-called "water tanker mafia" as the nation grapples with a deepening water crisis.
During his closing address at a two-day provincial lekgotla (gathering) held in Durban, Radebe warned delegates that the party must tackle corruption in water supply systems to maintain the trust of communities ahead of the upcoming local government elections.
He emphasised the severity of water tanker corruption, stating, "He said that water tanker corruption is very serious and people are being killed, yet the government is not seen to be acting decisively against this kind of corruption and crime."
Radebe further highlighted the alarming situation in eThekwini, where officials have lost their lives due to water-related issues.
“Comrades, I am sure most of you know how many officials have been killed in eThekwini because of water-related issues. This is very serious, and witnesses have spoken about this in the Madlanga Commission and in the Ad Hoc Committee, so we must be uncompromising against crime and corruption, irrespective of who is involved, otherwise people will lose confidence in us,” he said.
Expressing sympathy for the residents of Johannesburg who have been protesting against water outages, Radebe acknowledged the difficulties faced by those going days without access to water. He urged the party's deployees to prioritise fixing local government to ensure a decisive victory in the forthcoming elections.
“Comrades, fixing local government means we must fix ourselves first. There were times when our province was the biggest ANC (province) in the country in terms of support, so we must work hard to reclaim that position,” he added.
In addition, Radebe announced that President Cyril Ramaphosa would be visiting the province to deliver the keynote address during the ANC's 114th provincial anniversary celebration, scheduled to take place at the Overport Cricket Stadium in Durban on March 7.
He urged all 11 regions, particularly eThekwini, to mobilise members for the event to demonstrate that the party remains vibrant in the province.
This call for mass mobilisation follows the disappointing attendance at the national party birthday celebration in North West last month. Historically, KwaZulu-Natal has been a stronghold for the ANC, influencing decisions at the party's elective conferences and ensuring representation in its top leadership.
However, in the last elections, the ANC faced a significant setback, being relegated to third place in the provincial legislature by Jacob Zuma’s Umkhonto weSizwe Party.
Related Topics: