A bus stop shelter was one of the items placed to block a bridge during a water and power outage protest in KwaXimba, near Cato Ridge, which left many people unable to reach their workplaces.
Image: FACEBOOK
Angry residents of Ward 1 in KwaXimba, outside Cato Ridge, have accused their ward councillor and prominent ANC member, Thembo Ntuli, of failing to address long-standing service delivery challenges, describing him as a “useless decorative doll”.
Community members took to the streets, blocking a major road in what is the largest ward under the eThekwini Municipality. Protesters cited persistent electricity and water shortages as the main reason for the demonstration.
Councillor of ward 1 in KwaXimba, outside Cato Ridge, outer west of Durban, Thembo Ntuli who also chairs the Economic Development and Planning Committee in eThekwini Municipality is unfazed by being called "a doll" by protesters of his ward who took to the streets on Wednesday demanding water and power supply.
Image: THULI DLAMINI/Thuligraphy
Some protesters were armed with axes, machetes, pangas and hammers, while others scattered broken bottles, tree branches and refuse across the roadway to prevent vehicles from passing. Several demonstrators climbed trees, cutting branches and throwing them onto the road while chanting the councillor’s name and shouting insults.
In scenes reflecting deep frustration, protesters sarcastically questioned who represented the ward.
“Do you know who the councillor of Ward 1 is?” one protester asked. Another responded: “It is some doll who is being paid for doing nothing.”
A bridge that connects one of the villages in KwaXimba was blocked with tree branches and logs during a water and power outage protest.
Image: Facebook
A protester who spoke anonymously said residents felt abandoned by their elected representative.
“If God exists, I don’t know how he allowed such a person to be councillor of our area. We live difficult lives because of him. It is the first time we have had such a useless councillor,” the resident said.
Some protesters also raised concerns about the arrest of local ANC activist Sizwe “Bee” Khanyile, whom they described as a community-minded figure who had assisted residents with service delivery issues.
Khanyile, who is currently out on bail, has reportedly been barred from participating in community activities, according to the protesters. Protesters alleged Ntuli orchestrated the arrest due to political rivalry ahead of upcoming local government elections; claims Ntuli strongly denied.
Ntuli, who also chairs the Economic Development and Planning Committee in eThekwini Municipality, said he had engaged with protesters and was puzzled by the unrest.
“We had a meeting with these residents not long ago to discuss these issues,” he said.
He added that he was not concerned about being called names, saying public representatives are often criticised. Ntuli said water challenges had already been discussed with a municipal water and sanitation official during a recent community meeting and insisted he remained committed to improving service delivery.
He dismissed allegations linking him to Khanyile’s arrest as false and politically motivated, adding that he was confident in his leadership and did not need to have anyone arrested to secure electoral support. Ntuli said he only became aware of Khanyile’s arrest through social media posts by supporters.
Khanyile declined to comment on matters relating to KwaXimba.
Old empty bottles and garbage were strewn across one of the bridges that links the KwaXimba, near Cato Ridge, to the main road when protesters took to the streets complaining about their ward councillor Thembo Ntuli.
Image: Facebook
The protest disrupted daily life, preventing many residents from travelling to work, while others were forced to use alternative routes to reach their workplaces.
KwaXimba has a history of intense political contestation ahead of local government elections. Ntuli won the ward following a fiercely contested race against former councillor Musa Mkhize, who later defected to the uMkhonto weSizwe Party. Mkhize himself had earlier taken control of the ward from Susimpi Ngubane.
During the 2024 local government election campaign, the area attracted visits from all major political parties holding rallies in the community.